PlanAdapt is looking for an experienced, passionate and creative
Climate Risk Management and Adaptation Specialist
PlanAdapt is a global network-based organisation with a coordination hub in Berlin, Germany. We provide knowledge services in support of effective, economically just and socially inclusive climate change adaptation (CCA) and climate risk management (CRM) around the world. PlanAdapt’s team approaches complex challenges through transdisciplinary mixed methods and engagement of doers and thinkers across the spheres of science, policy and practice. Our advisors and researchers are specialised in methods and processes to bridge the adaptation science-action gap.
PlanAdapt’s mission is to design and offer effective ways to build skills, competencies and knowledge to adapt to climate change in the Global South. Read more about PlanAdapt here: www.plan-adapt.org
The role is preferably located in Berlin, at least initially, and is optionally part-time or full-time. We are happy to shape the job conditions to suit the needs of both, yourself and PlanAdapt. The salary is in line with the seniority of the appointment. We particularly welcome applications from women and the Global South, as PlanAdapt’s impact is focused on the Global South. The incumbent will report to PlanAdapt’s Managing Director.
Role and responsibilities:
- Take a leadership role as a PlanAdapt ‘Shaper and Mover’ to fulfil our mission, further build the vision and help to shape operational procedures
- Conduct applied research in the field of CRM and CCA using research-for-impact concepts
- Develop methods, concepts and approaches in view of effective, economically just and socially inclusive CRM and CCA
- Advise public sector/ governmental structures and businesses in view of understanding climate risks, planning, developing and implementing adaptation strategies
- In collaboration with PlanAdapt’s learning specialists, develop learning services (e.g. coaching, mentoring, e-learning)
- Develop strategic institutional partnerships with other international actors/ organisations in the area of CRM, CCA and educational services
- Inform the content-related aspects of PlanAdapt’s proposals and pitches targeting philanthropic funding, public tenders, and research grants
- Experience in the application of, proven track record and/ or knowledge in methods, concepts and approaches at least 2 of the below areas that concern climate risk management and climate change adaptation:
- Framing the Decision Context, Engaging Stakeholders
- Assessing, Valuating and Making Sense of Climate Risk
- Identifying Adaptation Options, Shaping Planning and Business Processes
- Monitoring, Evaluating and Learning From Adaptation Action
- Communicating Solutions, Brokering Knowledge, Bridging between Theory and Practice
- Researching New Frontiers for Effective Implementation
- Training, Building Capacity, Shaping Mindsets
- Assessing Financing Options and Mobilising Resources
- Designing and Delivering Impactful Climate Services
- Passion, ability and creativity to develop methods, concepts and approaches in view of effective, economically just and socially inclusive CRM and CCA
- Strong team spirit and passion to establish a new, dynamic organization in the landscape of climate institutions that helps building skills, competencies and capacities in the Global South
- Master’s degree or similar advanced degree in relevant disciplines
- Work experience in countries of the Global South
- An aptitude for improving systems and processes
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, and diversity for all aspects of development work
- Excellent attention to detail, highly entrepreneurial, creative and collaborative, and passion for PlanAdapt’s services and mission
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills to formulate and articulate contractual, technical, financial and value points with partners and internal PlanAdapt teams.
To apply, interested persons should send an email, indicating the job title in the subject line, with the following documents to email@example.com:
- Motivation letter
- Updated CV
- Indication of your availability and salary expectations
Please be aware, that we will contact only candidates that are selected for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Please find the downloadable PDF version here.